The World According to Cb...

The World According to Cb...

Monday, February 07, 2011

On the Receiving End


Had an interesting life experience a few nights ago – one of those ones where the more you tell the story the more you realize just how close you came to something really bad…

My friend Will and I were almost to my house after a great dinner with another colleague and Board Member.  For those who kept up on Austin “Snowpacalyspe 2011” this was right in the thick of the onslaught (more commonly referred to as a dusting in places where there is actual winter).  That noted, Will was driving cautiously, as much out of concern for being around Austinites who can’t drive in bad weather as the weather itself.

Bang!

I thought something in the rear car had exploded, sending some large blunt object forcibly right into the back of my chair.  Then Will and I realized we were about 100 yards further down the road than we had just been, and that there was a minivan smoking from the front, pulling up onto the sidewalk.  Yep, we’d done been rear-ended…

After doing the obligatory checks to see if either of us was badly hurt and/or the car was one fire, we got out to check on things – DAMN it was cold – aside from both of our backs more than a little sore and Will’s rear end shoved in (the car, not Will per se) we were OK.  Then we saw the driver of the minvan stumble out – his air bag had been deployed – and we thought he was stunned and looking for somewhere to sit down.  Then he crossed the street. And into the adjacent parking lot.  And up the hill – and was gone into the night…

The fire and police departments were soon on the scene and handled things very professionally, making sure we were OK and documenting the vehicle info from the guy who hit us.  Leaving an entire car on the scene as you make your get away doesn’t require Serpico to track you down.  (But I’m assuming he’ll avoid a DUI in the process) – we found out later the car was “borrowed without permission” so he’ll be answering to that as well.

But back to my main point, as I sit here heading to the doc to get my back checked out: I am sitting here typing at you.  And for that I’m truly grateful, being on the receiving end can certainly give you some perspective.  Ciao for now – Cb….

2 comments:

cindy said...

I'm just glad you are alright....and yes I admitt I called that "snow storm" a Dusting!

Unknown said...

Something tells me, snow or not, he might have rear-ended you anyway. Glad to know that you and Will were ok and got away without a totaled car or injury. (When I was rear-ended, it was at full speed while I was stopped at a stoplight, and I was shot across the intersection and another hundred or so feet beyond. No DUI, just a dumb yuppie who didn't see the red light in broad daylight with no weather issues. Totaled the car, too.) Sometimes, it's just one of those things.

About Me

My photo
Austin, TX, United States
A proud single dad, strong cancer survivor, and a guy who loves his bike, red wine, family and friends - the order is dependent on my mood...