The World According to Cb...

The World According to Cb...

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Aussie Attitude


Aside from the fact that it’s summer, the #1 reason why I like – no, love – coming to Australia is the can-do attitude of the population at large.  I’ve often said if Austin was a country it would be called Australia, but to be honest there’s a bit more to the Aussie spirit than even my beloved city’s make up.

Aussie’s are all in.  When they decide to do something, doesn’t matter what it is, you should not be in their way.  It’s full gas, from the gun.  Last year in Melbourne we were in a bar on Australia Day (shocking, I know) and upstairs was live band karaoke starting at 8pm.  Downstairs was fully packed, and then right at 8 sharp someone yelled down, “Oy – Karaoke is starting now!  You would have thought they were giving away free gold as the bar cleared out on contact and the party immediately kicked up several notches as everyone sang their hearts out, Aussie songs only.

When I walk down the streets here I can’t help but notice how confidently Aussies walk, they’re not afraid to look you in the eye and wish you a sincere, “G’day mate!”  It’s kind of a pride thing, but not in the wrong way.  They know who they are, and they’re completely comfortable with that – it’s that simple.

I think it all boils down to how they approach their lives on a daily basis.  It furthers my belief in my favorite saying: good feeds good, and bad feeds bad.  The people of Australia that I’ve met live that way daily, and then add to it with their great spirit and wicked sense of humor.  Drop bears, anyone?  Ciao for now – Cb…



3 comments:

Barbara said...

Really enjoy reading your posts....always spot on! Good stuff. Especially like "Good feels good, bad feels bad" and have used that quote on several occasions lately. LiveSTRONG!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Australia!
We pride ourselves on our strength, good humour and mateship.

Evan said...

CB I remember meeting you for the first time at the 2010 TdU and it was as you described....me just an Aussie saying "G'day Mate". Your blogs are honest and an enjoy to read. You are a man of your word and the one interview I have enjoyed doing for 602nds.com is the one with you. Deep down I reckon you could be an Aussie mate.
Evan

About Me

My photo
Austin, TX, United States
A proud single dad, strong cancer survivor, and a guy who loves his bike, red wine, family and friends - the order is dependent on my mood...