The World According to Cb...

The World According to Cb...

Monday, May 02, 2011

Thoughts on Osama's Death


Like millions of others around the world I was glued to the TV last night as the word spread about the demise of Osama Bin Laden.  But as the news spread and the jubilant celebration kicked off around the White House, Ground Zero, and Times Square, I found myself not feeling the same way as those partying the night away did…

I flashed back to where I was on 9/11 – and I know we all remember that day all too well – out in the north Florida woods on the Eglin AFB test range with my Combat Training Team partner Jon Saleska.  We were setting up booby traps for an exercise later that day with USAF Special Ops Combat Controllers and Pararescuemen, some of the folks who would eventually be first in when the real fighting began.  We immediately were recalled to base and I have a vivid memory of us driving back in, sharing a set of ear buds listening to a pocket FM radio as the horror unfolded...

I also recalled Oli Bennett, my ex-wife’s cousin, who just happened to have business in the World Trade Center that fateful day and was visiting when the planes struck.  Like thousands around him, he didn’t make it out alive...  I’ve since met his wonderful parents on several occasions and personally witnessed the everlasting damage that day, that attack, did to their psyche.  Nothing will ever completely heal that loss; not time, and certainly not the death of this despicable man.

Sure, it certainly helps the healing process to some capacity.  And I took great satisfaction that it was American forces, boots on the ground and not some drone in sky, that literally pulled the triggers and made the kill shot.  My friends and colleagues who I’ve trained side by side with for many years literally live for opportunities like this to make a difference and take down the bad guys.  So bravo to them! – and I hope that despite the inherent secretive nature of Special Ops and their quiet professionalism we’ll one day get to recognize these true American heroes.

So the news of Osama’s passing is not exactly a day of rampant celebration in my world. Rather it’s a time to sit back with a satisfied smile, knowing that the message has been sent out to Al Quaida and our other enemies: if you mess with the bull, you’re gonna get the horns.  Damn straight.

Ciao for now – Cb…

3 comments:

Mike N said...

Well said CB!

Mike N said...

Well said CB!

Shannon McBride said...

Chris, you have a steady, thoughtful way of processing things. Thank you for sharing from a soldiers perspective. And once again, thank you for YOUR service in our military. You are appreciated.

About Me

My photo
Austin, TX, United States
A proud single dad, strong cancer survivor, and a guy who loves his bike, red wine, family and friends - the order is dependent on my mood...